Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Can you wait for me? I have to stop by my locker...

Yep, my locker. We have lockers at Duquesne Law, just like we did back in high school. Where else are we supposed to put our coats? What about books? It’s not like we’re going to take THOSE home. My locker is near Corie’s and Maggie’s. But other than that, it’s just a bunch of second years back there. I guess I got stuck there because on the first day of first year, I had this really cool locker up near the front, but the combination they gave me didn’t work, so I had to get a new one.

Today at lunch, they were having the blood drive right in the lounge where everyone eats. They take up like half the room with all those cots and chairs for people giving blood. I was sitting with Jess and Dennis most of the time, but Darren stopped by too. At least it wasn’t crowded with that dumb fat second year kid who yells so loudly about how great the Yankees are every day. OMG. I wish I could like totally make that kid sit somewhere else at lunch.

Do you think I’m exaggerating? Did you know that, at some point during my six semesters at Duquesne, the registrar has asked me for my parents’ address and phone number no less than eleven times? I’m 29. I’ve been married for over 6 years. My mom doesn’t list me as a dependent on her tax return. I don’t live at my parents’ place between semesters. My parents don’t pay my tuition or my fees. Why, oh stupid registrar, do you keep asking me for my parents’ address?

Oh, yeah; how could I forget that we had our prom at the Sheraton Station Square this year? They call it “Barrister’s Ball.” Everyone dresses up, and all of the girls talk about what people are wearing. A lot of people tried to go to this after-party, but they couldn’t get in.

Don’t misunderstand me; I’m not complaining. In fact, some part of me is enjoying the hell out of this break from the reality of having to be a grown-up. But next time it occurs to you to associate “law school” with any form of the word “professional,” just don’t.

1 comment:

  1. At one time in school at UM I had THREE lockers to my name. Granted, there wasn't a prom, but there was plenty of kissy-face between the peeps there. Don't you remember the ridiculous fight between the UM Law students and the Forestry students about Bess, the Moose trophy? Real professional.

    ReplyDelete