Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lost in Translation

I recently moved to a new city for job-related reasons (i.e, I didn't have a job, and I could have one if I moved to this new city). Among other joys, this sequence of events reacquainted me with the many and varied pains of relocation and the requisite partially awkward introductory conversations with new coworkers. These conversations inevitably touch on my recent move.


Naturally, I start bitching to my new colleagues about how moving is like trying to crap a kangaroo. It's memorable, but in entirely unpleasant ways. This often leads to one of the following questions: Are you married? or Do you have a family? The basic intent of both questions is the same. If I answer "yes" to one or both, then I've earned more points on the "moving unpleasantness scale." Yes, my better half has to find a job here. I hated to drag the kids away from their friends and into another school district, but...


So, when I say, "No, I'm not married" or "No, I came by myself" my new coworkers express joy -- bordering on jealousy -- that I was able to move without worrying about the concerns of my spouse or children. And, while I know their comments are coming from the right place, when they say, "Oh, that's great that you're single" what I hear instead is: "You're alone! And you get to not have sex EVER! You lucky son of a bitch!"

No comments:

Post a Comment