Thursday, May 28, 2009

What IS a fire hydrant?

Purchasing insurance policies is never fun. Never. First, you're spending money on a product that you hope you will never use. Second, you're generally forced to consider unpleasant circumstances that might befall you: car accidents, property damage, lawsuits, property theft, identity theft, serious illness, death, or some combination of the preceding. Third, during the interview, you're often asked a series of ridiculous questions. While the answers to these questions are necessary to accurately calculate a premium, they're often difficult to answer accurately. For instance, while researching renter's insurance policies recently, I was asked to estimate the percentage of my housing that was brick. Sadly, there was no check box with the option, "What percentage of your brain thinks I have any f***ing clue?"

During this same interview, I was asked for the distance to the nearest fire hydrant. The words "fire hydrant" had a link, and I hoped that if I clicked the link, I would be offered some guidance on what to do in the event that I did not know the location of the nearest hydrant. Instead, this is what I was offered:



Rather than showing this picture with the accompanying explanatory information, might I suggest that the insurance company provide the following recommendation:
If you do not know what a fire hydrant is, you should not be buying renter's insurance. In fact, you should not be using this computer. Please sit in a room by yourself until you expire.
"can be any color." That's the part that really killed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment